Thursday, July 28, 2011

I had two pairs of really cute black shoes. "On, Footwear," my short short, at Fiction at Work

from my short-short "On, Footwear" . . ." I had two pairs of really cute black shoes. To a party Saturday night I was going to wear one pair of my totally cute black shoes."
Fiction draws on life's grim realities. My dark moment came about ten years ago.  I walked to a party in my sneakers, my girly cute-shoes in my backpack.

Except I'd brought mismatched shoes. I suppose that some chronicle of history informs of a greater catastrophe occuring since woman first shod her feet, but at the time, I couldn't think of one worse blow.

Thanks to Fiction at Work (July 27, 2011) for accepting this riff which has seen divers (to use an Arabian Nights' version of the word) versions over the years. I, apparently, do not give up on anything I've written. Too bad I didn't have children, but, I didn't. I had stories and poems.

from my short-short "On, Footwear" . ."People said I was the life of the party, but deep inside I had two really cute shoes I could not wear."

COPYEDITOR'S NOTE:  regarding "pair" vs. "pairs" (I went with the editor's query to use "pairs" instead of "pair" in the first paragraph. But only because I thought that in a story so short, the reader's attention might be snagged on "two pair" in the first paragraph. The reader's attention trumps all, especially when all choices are correct. "Useage":
"When used without a modifier, pairs is the only possible plural: Pairs of skaters glided over the ice. When modified by a number, pairs is the more common form, especially referring to persons: Six pairs of masked dancers led the procession. The unmarked plural pair is used mainly in reference to inanimate objects or nonhumans: He has three pair (or pairs ) of loafers. Two pair (or pairs ) of barn owls have nested on our property."
http://fictionatwork.com/dss1.aspx (July 27, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment