Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Present a Manifesto; & abide in a pink cloud

Heya . . . I'm Sarah's
pink cloud.*
I do, I present a manifesto. Not here, not today, but I did last night at the City University of New York Graduate Center. Whooo hooo.

Whooo hooo is a scholarly term obscure and quietly, sullenly essential in comprehension of theory, poetic theory, of which I know little, though last night, at the Tendencies series run by Trace Peterson, a doctoral candidate at CUNY, I knew much. I had to. I delivered a manifesto on poetry.

Also manifesto presenting were poet Christopher Schmidt and filmmaker Joel Sachs. I'm still so happy with the evening, my manifesto, my co-presenters, I can't unpink my cloud. I'm in the pink cloud of manifesto presentation, a fuzzy happy space which has little correspondence to "reality" but more to spaces of the mind in which flight--flight--lifts us up and over.

There is a lesson here. See, one evening I got off my rear to go to a reading in Brooklyn because two of the three poets interested me. Tim Peterson was one; we became friends and a year later, a manifesto was born.

I often send out many invitations to my readings, hoping poets who never show up for me will suddenly show up for me. Hoping poets who I show up for will show up for me. They don't. They don't. What I changed was who I asked to come. Who I asked were warm friends and of course they showed.

GO TO THE WARMTH!

See you soon, you warm snuggly reader, you. Remember to use your Wonder Woman bracelets to fight negativity and self-pity.

Sarah's pink cloud by Michel Feder. So beautiful.  From the site http://www.michelefeder.com/clouds/pink_cloud.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment