Monday, March 7, 2011

Karl Marx at Sarah Lawrence, or if not him, me, I'll read there, Tues., 3/8, 7 pm

I've written about Karl Marx three days in a row. I'm reading Isaiah Berlin's biography, Annette Funicello: The Early Years, NO! Karl Marx (Oxford).

Contrast, please, the seething poverty Marx and his family endured in London with Bronxville, the upper-scale upscale town atop which Sarah Lawrence College sits. Can't be done. Marx and his brood lived in two crappy rooms that sound like a crack house with filth and broken furniture. Maybe Yonkers, a few blocks away, has a crackhouse or two (which the super rich slum in), but not CEO-aplenty Bronxville.

I will have to bring poverty (and maybe sloth and anarchy) to my co-reading at Sarah Lawrence College on Tuesday, March 8 at 7 p.m. in Slonim  House. (It's such a small campus and Slonim's well-known; you'll find you're way.) Co-readers are Todd Dillard, Sam Starkweather, Sally Bliumis-Dunn.

I'm a wonderful reader out louder of poetry. Please do stop by if you are in Westchester County. It's free (ahem) and there'll be a Q&A and maybe cookies, wine or revolution.  More on Marx soon.

*poster for Howard Zinn's play Marx in Soho

No comments:

Post a Comment