Friday, January 28, 2011

Foodstuff Friday: Sarah Sarai (is born)

Jean de Brunhof
January 28 is the day Simon and Evelyn's only begotten fourth daughter slipped from the marine joys of nine months inside her mother.

It was an easily birth, rehearsed three times previously.

To be continued . . .

I need to keep working, my dear friends.  At a job.  So rent can be paid.

About Babar and his fathers, Jean and Laurent de Brunhof (son and father themselves).  When I thought of finding a b-day pic. I googled phrases like Sarah Sarai Ascends.  Sigh.

Then it came to me. . .go to the de Brunhofs.  The Morgan Library here in NYC exhibited their artwork last year and it was real deal lovely.  I don't know of any series of books more alive in me than the Babar books.

As for the final illustration of the nightmare, I've referenced that in poems (although I'm not sure the poems have yet to see the light of page).  Nonetheless it's a picture I found scary and thrilling when I was a little girl.  It's a triumphant nightmare.

As I say, if I have more time later, I'll write more. In the meantime,

Foodstuff Friday celebrates Sarah Sarai. She is not good enough to eat but she's good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment